Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Finance Interview Questions and Answers Guide

It is investment banking interview season. As I continue with my informational interviews and networking, I am preparing for investment banking first rounds and Superdays. There are several common technical and behavioral questions repeated during these interviews. Here I research and answer popularly asked questions.

1) Behavioral Interviews

This portion of the interview is actually fairly predictable and interconnected.  The interviewer is looking to see if you are smart, can handle the work, and likable. The foundation of this section is your story.  After that, all of the other answers will fall into place.
  • A) Tell me about Yourself (Story) and  Spinning Your Story
  • B) Why Investment Banking? (Motivation)
  • C) Strengths, Weaknesses, and Failures
  • D) Commitment and Dedication
  • E) Leadership and Teamwork
  • F) “Out of the Box” Questions
2) Technical interviews

In technical interviews, answers should last no more than 30 seconds to a minute. Also, it is okay if you don’t know the answer. I like to say something like: I’m not familiar with this topic as yet, but I know “xyz” or if I were on the job I would research it this way…
Moreover, there are times where you can as for clarification or hints before answering a question. Preparation is really the key in this section, but you can’t cover everything. I like to remember that I’m being interviewed and work on effectively communicating my answer in an articulate and friendly manner.
  • A) Accounting
  • B) Enterprise and Equity value
  • C) Valuation Methods
  • D) DCF
  • E) Merger Model
  • F) LBO
  • G) Book Review - Investment Banking Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers and Acquisitions (Wiley Finance, 2009)
3) Additional Interview Information
  • A) Investment Banking Interview Process
  • B) Phone Interview Tips
  • C) End of Interview Questions You Should Ask
  • D) Investment Banking Case Interviews
This process has definitely helped me improve and practice my answers. I hope it will be useful when creating yours. Practice your answers using flashcards. As always, feel free to leave any feedback and ask questions in the comment sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment