Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bank Recruiter Nancy Moulday

There are many people whose name resonates with the company they are working for and Nancy Moulday is definitely one of them.

Having been with TD Bank for 24 years this month, a quick search of her name would bring up archives of articles about her activities and work. For those students who have not met Nancy, I suggest taking the time to find out more about her as she could potentially change your life by hiring you for TD’s business banking division.


Fortunately, I got the chance to meet Nancy for Career Insider Business and learned a lot about her thoughts as a recruiter as well as an individual: her activities outside of work, her hobbies and what is keeping her at TD Bank after all these years. After the interview, I now understand why people would opt out of other jobs and work for TD Bank and gained a lot of new insights on how to stand out from other applicants.

What activities are you involved with outside of work?

I do a lot of volunteer work. I am a member of CACEE  (Canadian Association of Career Educators and Employers) where I’ve been a past director and president. We have conferences and our whole mission is to assist students in the transition from school to work.

I also do a lot of public speaking at community events. Today, I was at an aboriginal career centre meeting with job developers. Last week I spoke at Acces, which is an organization for internationally educated professionals that have financial experience outside of Canada. I did a presentation followed by a Q&A session. I talk about myself and my work at TD Bank. I am an aboriginal and a person with a disability so I talk about what it’s like to have a mental illness and how I’ve been able to cope with it.

What hobbies do you enjoy?

My hobbies are looking after my two boys. I have a four year old and a twelve year old who are actively involved in sports. I also like to read mystery and horror novels. I recently read “Darkness Greater Than Night” by Michael Connelly. It’s a police horror novel. When I was on vacation, I read the whole book in three days.

How has your education helped you get to where you are today?

I grew up in Montreal where I graduated from high school at grade 11. Then I went to John Abbott College, which in the Quebec school system is a CEGEP, similar to a junior college. I was in the commerce program because I wanted to emulate my father who was in marketing. I did the two year program and as part of my electives, I took industrial behavior organizational design, which I thought was pretty interesting. I graduated with a DEC in spring 1983 and went to Queen’s University that fall. Queen’s had a program that was a combination of commerce courses and psychology courses. It’s now known as industrial relations. That way I hoped to be more effective HR person which was what I ended up being after I joined TD Bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment